Besides vaulted ceilings and large windows, the best complement to a small space is a strategically placed mirror. Mirrors can expand walls, magnify light and also break up any clutter of a crowded space. Mirrors don’t just have to be used in this manner for small spaces; they can have this effect on any size space and should be used often for the reasons below. There’s also local mirror frames services like those from MirrorcleFrames of Houston that will frame your mirrors at an affordable rate.
Here are 5 Ways to Expand The Small Spaces in Your Home with Mirrors
- Make Furniture Pop: Placing mirrors behind a piece of furniture will make it look more elegant and like part of the design of the room rather than than something just stuffed in. Entry tables, for example, are perfect places to feature a mirror. Strategic placement also makes the mirror functional. A mirror placed near the door will allow to double check yourself before you head out the door.
- Magnify Light Sources: Be it behind a candle or a lamp, a mirror will magnify the light and expand its reach while giving a ambient effect that has a mysterious and relaxing feel.
- See Double: Place a mirror across from a window at the same level to give the effect of a second window, maximizing natural light. The mirror will also give you an alternate angle of the view outside which can also make your space seem larger than it actually is.
- Mirror That Wall: Sometimes a large mirror on the wall is not the way to go. However, if you use this technique as an element and not just a stand alone, it can actually be very effective. The key is think multiple, small mirrors, in the same way you would make a picture panel.
- Add a mirror to an art wall or shelf arrangement: Art groupings can look great if done in the right setting and with the right amount of space. In a small room it can be tough to do without getting a closed-in effect. When you bring a mirror into the grouping, however, it provides a visual breakup and adds a dimension of space.
In any luxury home, you will notice a common element– stylish full-body length mirrors. If you room isn’t already adorned with a mirror, consider adding one in. Many mirrors come pre-fitted with a frame. However, there are some mirrors that have no frame, which can result in a plain look. In these cases, there are mirror framing companies that can frame your mirror even if it’s permanently mounted on a wall.
There are tons of ways that a mirror can be used to improve the look of a room. The key is to experiment and see what works best for the room. Know of any mirror tips? Share with us in the comments below!