Honor Houston Vets on Memorial Day

Help us place a flag on every grave at Houston National Cemetery

For the second year, KSEV is teaming up with Flags For Fallen Vets to place a flag on every grave at the Houston National Cemetery.  Each veteran will receive an individual honor along with our thanks and admiration.

Can you help us place the flags?

We need 700 volunteers to join us Sunday morning, May 25, 2014.  We meet early in the morning for instructions and to obtain the flags.  You’ll report to nearby Greenspoint Mall for shuttle transportation to the Cemetery.   After an opening ceremony, we’ll begin placing the flags.  Our volunteers placed all 65,000 flags in about 40 minutes last year.  If you can help, fill out the form below.  You’ll receive details and information on how to link up with team KSEV.

Volunteer To Place Flags

Can you, your office, church group or organization help Mack place flags at Houston National Cemetery? It will take about 3 hours on Sunday morning, May 25, 2014, beginning at 8:00 am. Fill out the form below and we'll get you signed up on Team KSEV!
  • Tell us about your business or organization. How many volunteers? Please include the names of each volunteer over 14 years of age. All ages welcome!

Can you make a donation for flags and supplies?

Every donation helps with flags, storage, transportation and supplies.

Click here to make a donation.

The pictures of last year’s event are featured below.

Cars streaming in at 7:00 am.

Instructions from J.B. the Section J Team Leader.

Some fans find Richard “Mack” Machowicz.

Mack finds Tyler Cook.

Tyler Cook makes a donation to Bob Fussner, President, Flags For Fallen Vets.

Tyler Cook and Bob Fussner.

A well deserved hug from Bob Fussner.

The work of placing flags begins.

Volunteers pay tribute to the fallen vets in Section J.

KSEV’s Russell Sherrill and son Luke.

Tyler Cook finds his paternal grandfather.

Measuring the proper distance to place the flag.

Father and son place flags.

Mack places a flag.

Mack pays his respects to a fellow veteran.

On to the next section.

Jimmy Klauck places a flag.

Boy shows dad where to place the flag.

Flags for all vets.

With respect to 65,000 vets.

Just a few flags left.

Flags placed against the morning sky.

Volunteers head home for the weekend.

Project complete in Section J.

Click below to hear Bob Fussner, President of Flags For Fallen Vets, talk about how the event got started.

Click here to visit the Flags For Fallen Vets web site.

Listen to AM 700 KSEV for details and updates.

45 Comments - Listed Newest to Oldest

1. [...] The local radio station provided many photos of the event, which can be found here. [...]

2. Paul Brown says:

This is the power of the people. An unbelievable accomplishment by the KSEV radio family. You should be proud of the effort to honor the hero’s which allow us to live in the greatest country on earth. Now let’s continue the fight to keep it that way.

3. Jeffrey says:

Great job, god bless all of our troops. Please tell me the flags were made in America.

4. Debbie Kilgore says:

I was in Section N3 as well, with my granddaughter and others from our group who volunteered. I cannot tell you how emotional it was, to see the Cemetery “basically bare” at 6:30 am, and then at 9:00 am AFTER the flags were all placed. My granddaughter is 9 years old, and I want her to always know the price that so many have paid over the past 225-plus years to keep our country free, at the ultimate cost. We plan to be there every year to place flags, and to honor those men and women. Thank you to KSEV for letting us know of the need for the flags and volunteers to place them. We were so very honored to be a part of it

5. Trudy Duhon with HOME-Help Our Military endure says:

Thank you Mac, for such an honor to help with the placement of the flags for our fallen heroes. HOME had section N3 and I encouraged all our volunteers to step back after they place the flag and say the veterans name out loud also as a tribute to them. A wonderful turnout indeed for our true heroes.

I wish the flags didn’t need to come down Thursday. Many folks will not be able to make it out on a work/school day. And all my volunteers asked if the removal day can be changed.

I was hoping to meet you, shake your hand and say Thank You for your amazing service to our country. But I say it in this type. My heart is full of pride for all that was accomplished today.

Job well done!

~trudy
    HOME-Help Our Military Endure

6. Mary says:

Thanks for the great effort! I was unable to help, but my dad and I were at the cemetery on Sunday to take flowers to my mom’s gravesite. The cemetery looked awesome with all of the flags. It was truly stunning! What an honor to all of our veterans. I’m off to hit the donation button for next year! thanks again.

7. Jay says:

Is there still a need for more help today?
    Please consider to schedule next years flags event the sat a week before. How about helping with storage for next year?
    Jay

8. Eden Rule says:

Hi. We registered our family to help, along with several others from our group. The others received confirmation, but we never did. In fact, I did not realize I needed confirmation until another member just mentioned it. We plan to come help and are really looking forward to it. Please send info.

9. lee holsenbeck says:

Highly advised place to stop by when you’re placing flags.

It’s called section S-2 on the cemtery map, but its on the right, right before the admin building is a section of iraq and afghanistan KIAs.

most young people cant relate to WW2 vets; but i guarrantee you if you put them before a vet’s grave that is 5-10 years older than they; they should have some deep thoughts on the ride home.

10. Dr. Lisa Babin says:

Signed up VERY early in your call for volunteers to come and do this and have not received any confirmation information. I am a Veteran who was born on Gov’t soil in NOLA as the Child of a Career Veteran and Civil Servant.

I’m coming anyways to help. It’s THAT important to me.

Thanks and GOD Bless,

Dr. L. Babin
    West Houston/Katy

11. A. J. Pate says:

Volunteers:

A. J. Pate
    Martha Pate (deceased husband buried in cemetery)

12. Jeff Bullen says:

Bob, it is truly a blessing to see you take this on in an organized fashion. My Boy Scout Troop has placed flags at the Houston National Cemetery on several Memorial Days in the past but the event and organization wasn’t large enough to cover all of the grave sites. In fact, I’m not certain how those events were organized — we just always showed up knowing that they needed help. For future years I would suggest scheduling this on the Saturday prior to Memorial Day to avoid conflicts with church activities.

13. Lucy Oliver says:

My husband, son & I signed up but haven’t heard if we were accepted. Can we still take part?

14. Nicholas Lyras says:

Please place me on the waiting list for the Houston National Cemetery for Sunday, May 26. Also, send me any information on future activities/needs. Thank you.

15. Jim Ecklund says:

My wife and I also volunteered but we do not know if we are to be there Sunday or are we on the waiting list?

16. jerry mathers says:

when will we notice of where to meet for sundays event. My employees are asking.

17. Lesa Farthing says:

My family volunteered to place flags but never heard anything about if we made the team. How can we find out?

18. Rhonda Williams says:

Mack, Just wanted to let you know that I got a really nice Thank You card and note from Jim after donating to the Flags For the Fallen. It wasn’t much but I hope it helps. God Bless you for what you do love to listen to you and Ed Hendee.

Thanks
    Rhonda

19. David Withrow says:

My wife and I volunteered to place flags a week or so ago.

We were wondering if we made it in the group as we read that you had exceeded the number of volunteers needed.

We never receive a confirmation or wasn’t sure if we would or do we just show up?

Thanks

20. Perky Savage says:

What an honor to be a part of doing this.

21. Bobbie Pena says:

This is such and awesome event…my dad is buried here in Houston…thanks to all the volunteers for doing this…had I heard sooner I definitely would’ve jumped at the chance to help. I will definitely look out next year so I too can be a part of it!!

22. Jared says:

Do you still need volunteers to place flags?

23. Mark A. Rhoads says:

I am very honored & excited to be able to be a part of the groups listed (Conroe Cougars Pathfinders Club). We’ll see you there! Our vets deserve our support! I have many friends & relatives who were or are in the military. May God bless them & the USA!

24. Pat Reagan says:

My wonderful husband was buried here this year and I am so blessed to be able to participate. My children and I will be there to honor all the fallen heroes

25. Teri Whitney says:

The Special Operations Forces K9 Memorial Foundation will be in attendance to place flags. We are grateful for the honor to do so. Thank you for accepting our group.

26. Scott Eldred says:

I would like to have an address to mail a contribution to.Please post one.

27. Debbie Kilgore says:

We want to make sure that our children remember to give back to those who gave so much to us! We talk about our veterans, and now it’s time to do something for them as well! So far, we have a group of approximately 15 girls/parents planning to attend!

28. John says:

I am an Army vet and appreciate the opportunity to participate. Thank you

29. jeanette cieslak says:

We our honored to be able to be there and help for this cause. Our Military is the best in the world. My family has served in the military since the revolution. I love all the service men and woman who give of there time to include there lives for all of us to be FREE. God Bless the United States of America. Jeanette Cieslak

30. Sharon Sands says:

I just signed my daughter and myself to join in on placing flags. Our goal (and we’ll do it!) is to pray for each vet on whose grave we place a flag. Can’t wait!!

31. Troy Stanglin says:

I am an 8 year military vet and this is one of the few ways that I can return the favor to my fallen Brothers in Arms.

32. Alison Davidson says:

My Father, Father-in-Law, and my Husband are all buried at Houston National Cemetery. I am honored to have the privilege to place flags on the graves of our service men and women. I will be there.

33. Carolina says:

I am a naturalized US citizen. I am thankful for all the opportunities that this country and the men and women that fought and fight to preserve our liberties. It will be an honor to volunteer to pay tribute to those who lost their lives to protect this countries and the freedom we enjoy

34. Nobody says:

I bought the rest of the flags.

35. Scott says:

This has been posted up on the Wounded Warrior Project Alumni site. I have put in calls to the 27th Infantry Regiment Society for Volunteers, along with the Combat Infantryman’s Association. We should meet/exceed the goal in no time. Vini Vidi Vici.

36. Brandy L. Leslie says:

My two sons (ages 16 & 19) will be volunteering as well as several of my co-workers. It is our absolute honor to do so.

37. Todd Grage says:

Do you still need $ for the flags?

38. Lawren says:

I just donated $100 for 205 flags. I’ve also posted a link to this website on my Facebook page asking all my friends to volunteer their time and/or money and to spread the word. God bless America and the men and women who have lost their lives and those who are still protecting this great nation!

39. trudy duhon says:

HOME-Help Our Military Endure just bought 102 flags for only 50.00

• admin says:

Trudy,

Thank you for putting the word out! Make sure your volunteers sign in on this page. Then, we’ll have an accurate count of who is coming. See you May 26!

40. trudy duhon says:

My group HOME-Help Our Military Endure will be there helping along with many of our supporters.
    I put out a broad eblast and getting great replies in. it may not even take three hours to complete.:)

41. Pete Ramirez says:

I’m a veteran who needs to do this for my fellow brothers and sisters in arms.

42. Rod McMahon says:

How much money do you need to complete the flag purchase?